Well, it was bound to happen sometime. The old hard drive in my desktop finally died. I tried the freezer trick. Lowering the temperature can sometimes nudge a hard drive back to health — long enough to grab some data off of it. That did not work. So, I will have to live with my full back-up, which was about 10-days earlier.
Here are the steps I’ve gone through (so far) to reconstruct a working system:
1) Replace defective drive with another old IDE drive, with 300GB capacity.
2) Boot the computer using the Mind 12 live DVD, which I still had from my first install of Mint 12.
3) After the boot up, I clicked on Install. When it got to the question about how to install, I selected the option to reformat the HDD and install Mint alone using the entire disk.
4) Once installed I re-booted the computer. Mint informed me there were Updates waiting, so I installed them all. This process actually took longer than the Mint initial install.
5) Went into System Tools > System Settings > Displays to configure my dual displays from Mirror (the default).
6) Launched Software Manager and installed several programs that do not come automatically with Mint 12:
- Wine (to run Windows programs)
- Shutter (nice screen-shot program)
- Lucky Back-Up (program to keep files backed-up)
- Picasa (for photo adjustments and management)
- Chromium Browser
- DeVeDe (DVD authoring program)
- Gweled (cute game)
- MeTV (software to drive my TV card)
7) Launched Thunderbird. Then killed it, copied over my files from backup, and re-launched it. I’ve got all my old email back (except for the past 10-day after my last back-up).
8) Launched Firefox. Then killed it, copied over my configuration files from backup, and re-launched it. I’ve got all my bookmarks and preferences back.
9) Copied all my files from backup disk onto my main disk, using the default folders provided by Mint: Documents, Pictures, Downloads, etc.
10) Set up a few screenlets using Screenlet Manager.
11) Launched Me-TV and ran through the HDTV channel search.
12) Launched Picasa and let if find all my photos.
That’s about all I have time for this weekend.